Thursday, April 09, 2009

Idea Lab and Makani

I remember when I was just entering grad school and I thought that the coolest job would be to work in a company that was think tank that used creativity, and science to approach current challenges. Like all great ideas, many people have similar ones, so when I saw the TED talk by Bill Gross I was excited to see what they were working on.








The talk focuses on a solar thermal power generator, using a sterling engine combined with a small heliostat array. They used evolutionary algorithms to help in the design (something that I've been interested in for while as well, but never tried).


His company, Idea Lab, is full of great work, and seem to have produced a lot of good technologies; well worth a few minuets to go through their projects.


Another great talk is given by Saul Griffith, who started one of my favorite sites Instructables. He talks about kites and their use as a renewable resource; there is an earlier talk on self replication, also well worth the watch. He has some interesting companies that are also worth a look; Makani Power, SQUID Labs;





Powered by Qumana


No comments: