Monday, September 07, 2009

Not allowed to close your eyes in the Ventana al Mar in Ensenada

That is right! While sitting on a picnic bench with my little lady after breakfast on Saturday I decided that I wanted to relax for a few minuets before we went to a meditation class. Not being interested in what my woman was reading I lied back on the bench and covered my face with my hat. The breeze was soothing, and everything was great.. until the security guard came up and told me that I was not allowed to lie down with a hat covering my head like I was sleeping. That sleeping was not allowed in the Venatan al Mar! I didn't argue too much; I mentioned that I would understand if this was Nazi Germany, and that I was surprised, but a second look at him.. with pants two sizes too big, and a really skinny "I get paid next to nothing" look in his face, made me think twice, and I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

What is worth the effort is that his bosses told him to do this, and that is a sad reflection on the city. Parks are made for resting. For afternoon naps and children playing. Once you start sending guards around trying to control how people behave, you've lost the point and are just wasting tax payers money. When we were in Toronto we had a lovely hour nap on the lawn in front of Queens Park (the Provincial Government building) without a single problem, I'd like to see that type of atmosphere here in Ensenada.

No comments: